Tremec 3550 Transmissions
The Tremec 3550 5 speed transmission was replaced with the stronger and smoother shifting Tremec TKO line of 5 speed transmissions. Tremec 3550’s are most common amongst the Mustang crowd as they found their way into a few Cobra Mustangs. Their higher torque engines demanded a stronger 5 speed transmission.
- Five forward speeds with 5th gear overdrive provides extended ratio coverage, lowering engine RPM’s and improving fuel economy. (Available in .68 or .82 overdrive ratio)
- Tapered roller bearings on input, output and counter shafts increase torque capacity.
- Massive 83 mm center distance from mainshaft to countershaft allows for the largest most durable gear sizes.
- Specially designed aluminum die cast housings provides optimum strength-to-weight ratio.
- Steel input shaft retainer enhances durability. TKO models are offered with upgraded steel on select gearing, delivering maximum torque capacity.
- Internal multi-rail shift linkage system provides robust, positive shifting.
- Fifth speed synchronizer located on countershaft reduces gear rattle and shift effort.
- Multiple shift lever locations available:
- Rear - standard on all TR-3550 transmissions - ideal for Mustang applications
- Mid-shift location - ideal for pick-up truck retrofits ¨
- Front-shift location - allows retrofits of custom-made cars and other Hot-Rod applications